Friday, August 1, 2008

Femasculisting The Web!

I'm going to say it, I'm sick of being a sex object. Since puberty, it's been a nonstop barrage of "hey baby" this and "give me your number, sugar tits" that, and maybe I'm just giving myself room to vent, but I think sexual objectification, in all its forms, needs a niche in the public discourse. S.O. is always going to happen, but instead of being mad about it, I thought it might do some good to talk about it.

Thinking of the public good, I decided to name this here blog "femasculist" - a mash up of "feminist" and "masculist". Both offer similar feelings on objectification.

To educate the poor souls:

"Sexual objectification is objectification of a person. It occurs when a person is seen as a sexual object when their sexual attributes and physical attractiveness are separated from the rest of their personality and existence as an individual, and reduced to instruments of pleasure for another person.

The concept of sexual objectification and, in particular, the objectification of women, is an important idea in feminist theory and psychological theories derived from feminism. Many feminists regard sexual objectification as objectionable and as playing an important role in the inequality of the sexes. Some feminists and non-feminists, however, argue that increased sexual freedom for women and gay men has led to an increase of the sexual objectification of men. Thus, the objectification of men is an important idea in masculist theory."

No comments: